Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Book Recommendation: The False Prince


So this week has seriously been the best week ever for books.  First, we get amazing book donations for our classroom library, and then, this morning, I wake up to an email from Overdrive (an online library resource) that The Runaway King is available for checkout on my kindle. I have been wanting to read The Runaway King since February, and I've been on the library waiting list for months.  It was a great way to wake up!

The Runaway King is the second book in the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer Nielsen.  I first was introduced to the series when I was long-term subbing in Middleton.  The teacher for whom I was subbing, Pernille Ripp, had chosen the book as a read aloud for her fifth grade students.  I had the good fortune of having my first day on the day the class was having an author Skype...the fifth graders were Skyping with Jennifer Nielsen!  It was amazing to see, and something I would love to figure out a way to do with our students.  Without spoiling anything, Nielsen told us all about the book and her favorite parts.

I jumped into reading the book aloud to the kids in the middle of the novel, and immediately, I was hooked.  The students were "ooing" and "ahhing" while I was reading....I had never seen anything like it!  I went home and read up to where the class was so I could experience the plot with them.  I was going to read ahead, but they begged me not to.  I'm so glad I didn't.  Finishing an amazing book with a group of students was quite a memorable experience.

Take a look at what goodreads has to say about the book:

"THE FALSE PRINCE is the thrilling first book in a brand-new trilogy filled with danger and deceit and hidden identities that will have readers rushing breathlessly to the end.

In a discontent kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan to find an impersonator of the king's long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner's motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword's point -- he must be chosen to play the prince or he will certainly be killed. But Sage's rivals have their own agendas as well.


As Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to Conner's sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold, until finally, a truth is revealed that, in the end, may very well prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together.


An extraordinary adventure filled with danger and action, lies and deadly truths that will have readers clinging to the edge of their seats."


Our school library doesn't have a copy yet, but we made a request, and Mrs. Neal is working on getting it for us.  We are so lucky to be in a school with such amazing staff and resources! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment